Re: [Amps] Step Start circuit - needed or not?

To: ws1l@comcast.net, amps@contesting.com, heathKit_HFAmps@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Step Start circuit - needed or not?
From: Gudguyham@aol.com
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 08:16:33 EST
Tom W8JI designed the AL-80A which is the same amp as the SB-1000 in a
different looking box.  He claims a step start is not needed, however later
versions of the AL-80A did have them.  When Tom was asked why they were  later
installed he said because users "like the idea" of having them.  He  still
maintained it did not need it.  My experience with them is they do  "bang"
pretty hard when first turned on.  Let's put it this way, a step  start can't
hurt whether it is needed or not.  So as Tom says, if it makes  you feel
better, put it in.

In a message dated 2/23/2010 8:09:38 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,