Re: [Amps] Solenoid polarity on DC reed relays

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Solenoid polarity on DC reed relays
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 14:13:02 -0500
Bill,

DC coil polarity is an issue because polarized relays generally contain a
reverse-biased snubbing diode across the relay coil to: (1) protect a
solid-state driving circuit from damage resulting from the rapid coil flux
collapse; and (2) to decrease the relay .  Measure the coil resistance with
a DVM or VOM, then reverse the test leads and measure again.  This may give
you an indication if the snubbing diode is already part of the relay.  Equal
readings generally signifies a non-polarized relay coil.

Most DC relays without indication of "+/-" polarity are non-polarized.  For
QSK operation, it may be best to add your own snubbing diodes to all relays,
including the vacuum relays.  It may also be helpful to review the following
discussion concerning the use of relay snubbing diodes:

http://www.cliftonlaboratories.com/diode_turn-on_time.htm

Paul, W9AC