Re: [Amps] PTFE dielectricum variable cap

To: "la7sl Nils Petter" <la7sl@norgespost.no>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] PTFE dielectricum variable cap
From: "pfizenmayer" <pfizenmayer2@q.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 17:08:44 -0700
What I wonder about is having small air gaps at spots where the teflon sheet
and the rotor/stator plates are bearing against the teflon.  If the
dielectric is uniform there is no problem but it seems to me if there was an
air gap , yojwould get the voltage appearing across the air and the teflon
just is acting like an electrode.

 I know for a fact that many years ago a capacitor manufactor supplied us
with a capacitor with plates coated with several mils of teflon and in fact
the capacitor broke done at lower voltage than it did before the teflon
coating (same plate and spacing as before the coating so just the air gap
reduced)

I am not sure of how the electric  field intensity is modified when there is
an "air bubble" surrounded by surfaces fully in contact. Don't have access
to EM software to look at this anymore.

Just a thought -- Hank K7HP