Re: [Amps] Why people don't build amps.

To: "Roger" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Why people don't build amps.
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 17:16:30 -0400
Roger, if you look at the AM and some other forums you will find home brew
is alive and well. Those hams dont need $1000 tubes to make power and are
mostly making do with glass bottles of the past with some maybe going a bit
beyond the 1500W PEP rule. But nobody really cares as these guys are as
clean as they can be and are really not running any more power than what was
legal in the 1KW input days.

A problem with many potential SSB amp builders is that they are brainwashed
into believing that they have to either buy the best Eimac has to offer or
suffer thru the IMD generating junk out of Russia unless they run 75-80% of
Pd as idle current. Even Chinese copies of Eimac are no bargains any more.

The potential builders also feel that they need 2000-2500W of keydown
capability to be competitive as shown by most of the current crop of
commercial amps with many going above that. A few on here whine when someone
suggests a YC-156 but say nothing about the multi kilobuck in a box amp.
BTW, the YC-156 filament is 175W, thats a huge 25W over a pair of 3-500Z's;
it does take 8 minutes to warm up tho and a bit of skill to get it on 10M.

At the low end there is an unlimited supply, it seems, of Heath, Dentron and
some small Ameritrons amps in particular for way less than the current price
of 1500-1600W  Pd worth of just the tubes. Toss in all the thousands of old
Henry floor amps that nobody with a new ricebox wants to be seen with.

Love them or hate them, there are many glass and ceramic tubes out there of
older design that are downright bargains that will easily give 500-2000W +
out. Most dont die if you look at them wrong either....thats another plus
for the YC-156.

Older 115 or even 230V iron will still work, its just not going to be a
table top amp and dont expect 1500W out from a 120V 15A breaker either. Run
a new 30A service and quit worrying about it if you find a 3kva monster for
free or cheap. So what if you might have to use a choke input; the peak
output of the transformer can still be obtained. Tuned chokes work fine if
done right. Get creative for QRO and run a cheap 208V 3 phase transformer on
240V single phase; it can be done and with reasonable efficiency. If the
price is right........give it a thought.  Pole pigs are also still available
and work just fine on 120V for many tubes.

When I was on this forum in the 90's home brew was the norm for members and
not the exception as it is now. What went wrong?

Carl
KM1H