[Amps] finding used parts to build

To: "Cecil Acuff" <chacuff@cableone.net>, "Roger" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Subject: [Amps] finding used parts to build
From: "Zeitler, Lane LT, FST-1" <zeitlel@cpr3.navy.mil>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 21:57:34 -0800
Ebay but you have to check OFTEN and in multiple categories. Sometimes
they appear with "Buy-It-Now" options and can be had for a song. There
was a Dahl plate xmfr listed a few weeks ago that lasted about 3 hours.
It had a buy-it-now option and was snatched up right away. It was a
sweet xmfr, multiple taps on the pri and a hefty 3000vac 2 amp secondary
but it was heavy, around 66 pounds. Sounds good to me. It was also
listed in a somewhat non-related category, like "classic stereo
receivers" or something like that.

CraigsList is another option. When I search in the San Diego area it is
usually pretty slim to none. When I broaden the search to all of
California and/or look in Arizona (a 2 hr drive, very reasonable) a lot
more stuff opens up. Even if I do not have an immediate need sometimes I
will buy an item just to stockpile the junkbox.

Swap meets are sometimes a good option. I do not know if this is a
Southern California thing or not but every 70's era drive in movie
theatre now was swap meets on sat and sun.

Check qth.com and eham.net as well as qrz.com, check often. There is
stuff avl out there for very reasonable prices but it takes effort to
find them because guess what? Other hams and builders are looking too.

Murphy's Surplus is a good source. His web site is undated often so
represents a fairly accurate inventory. There used to be a nice outlet
by Los Angeles called "C & H Sales", they were all surplus like Murphy's
but had a slightly different inventory. They used to have GE 32uf 4500
volt oil filled caps for about $49.00. That was a long time ago, maybe
early 90's. I think they have since shut down.

I think Harbach has more or less taken over the Dahl designs. Kind of
pricey but certainly an option. Good luck in the search!

Lane
Ku7i