Re: [Amps] L and C "meter"

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] L and C "meter"
From: Larry Benko <xxw0qe@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 11:34:00 -0600
I also agree that the AADE L/C meter is a great deal and a very easy kit
to build.  Bear in mind that the measurement frequency used is NOT RF
but a variable frequency that I think goes as high as a few hundred KHz
for parts with small values.  This means accurate measurements on
powdered iron and ferrite inductors won't be as accurate but much better
than measuring with some piece of equipment at 1KHz..  Also the banana
plugs are a non-standard spacing.  However the ability to zero out any
test fixture or leads is very convenient.

For measuring parts values at RF I use an AIM-4170 which allows
measurements at any frequency up to 180MHz.  By calibrating to the end
of a piece of coax you can make measurements of a filter or PI network
in the chassis which is very cool.

73,
Larry, W0QE