Re: [Amps] Good engineering

To: "mikea" <mikea@mikea.ath.cx>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Good engineering
From: "Edward Swynar" <gswynar@durham.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 07:38:23 -0500
On 29th March, Mike wrote:

"...These are man-rated systems chock full of
electronics, and EMC testing damn well ought to be mandatory."

************************************

Hi Mike,

This will doubtlessly be taken as my being biased/prejudiced by any & all
who know that I'm a General Motors salaried retiree...!

Irregardless, I can honestly say that I personally saw a HUGE "...drive-in"
EMF susceptability tester at the Milford (Michigan) proving grounds when I
toured that facility YEARS ago. That part of the site was brimming with
licensed Hams, too. There was a gigantic GMC "Bison" tractor-trailer being
tested when I was there---and there was room to spare, that's how large the
thing was.

As well, when GM Oshawa Development Engineering was in full-swing here some
25 years ago, a friend of mine who worked in the local electronics supply
place told me he'd seen an invoice cross his desk from GM for a legal-limit
linear amplifier: the guys there were obviously into some sort of RFI
testing, too.

RFI / EMF compatability was taken seriously by the General decades before
any of this latest stuff blew up in Toyota's face, FWIW!

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ