Re: [Amps] Good engineering

To: "mikea" <mikea@mikea.ath.cx>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Good engineering
From: "Gary Smith" <wa6fgi@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 08:05:23 -0700
  From: mikea
  To: amps@contesting.com
  Sent: Monday, March 29, 2010 12:24 PM

  On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 03:01:09PM -0400, Pete Smith wrote:
  > I have read that in his testimony, the American in charge of Toyota USA
  > (Exec VP?) said that their on-board computers had not been subjected to
  > EMC testing.

  > If that's the case, I wonder how many incidents are caused when joe
  > trucker pulls up alongside with his 400-watt solid state CB "linear"
  > while chatting with his pals.

  > "Ten-fourrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr good buddy"

  I was wondering very much the same sort of thing earlier today, though I
  grant I was musing more on cellphones and other weaker QRM.

  A friend who was involved in automotive microcode for a US carmaker,
  rather a while back, told me he had found some hundreds of disaster-
  guaranteed code flaws, ranging from software race conditions resulting
  in indeterminate results (roll dice) to brakes, steering, or other major
  subsystems failing hard.

  I doubt things have got a whole lot better. I am very decidedly troubled
  by this bit of testimony. These are man-rated systems chock full of
  electronics, and EMC testing damn well ought to be mandatory.

  --
  Mike Andrews, W5EGO
  mikea@mikea.ath.cx