Re: [Amps] liquid cooling

To: jim feldman <mtnredhed@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] liquid cooling
From: Roger <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2010 15:16:31 -0400

jim feldman wrote:
> Maybe I'm speaking from ignorance, but I don't see the issue.  The high end
> PC builders have been using liquid cooling for years (for fanless or
> overclocked cpu's) and there's plenty of off the shelf parts and knowledge
> base.
It's an entirely different issue.
>  It's more a case of scale.
Take it from who has worked with both and has several decades working
with water cooled RF generators. It is not a matter of scale! The issues
you have to deal with are quite different.
>  Where a PC might need to dissipate 200w
> at around 50c, I assume a power tube might easily require an order of
> magnitude more radiating area,
Not really area, but you can use that as a reference.
>  but it has the advantage of being hotter
> compared to ambient and a greater tolerance to higher temps.
The greater the delta T the more efficient the cooling.
>   I would say
> that the two main issues would be, pump fail/over temp sense, and correct
> handling of water (most likely water/glycol) in a vapor state. "Yup, my PA
> died when my tube vapor locked".  Given the high temps a tube can run at,
> it's conceivable you could design a pump-less cooling system based on
> convection currents and steam.

This does not address the issue of cooling the tube seals.
> One thing that would worry me, is in a high humidity environment, a
> moderately rapid rise in ambient air temp before the unit was turned on,
> could result in condensation on the outside of the tube before the coolant
> was at or warmer than the local air.  This could be worked around.

It 's called an air conditioner.

73

Roger (K8RI)