Re: [Amps] pi-net spreadsheet question

To: Amps reflector <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] pi-net spreadsheet question
From: "Bill, W6WRT" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 18:54:02 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 16:02:14 -0400, "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com> wrote:

>Not really. Even a 2W carbon takes decades when the suppressor is designed and
>not just shotguned.  Modern resistors dont >change at all....yet.

>If it decreases to a low enough value, guess what? No suppressor.
>
>Thats not the change direction. And below a certain value it will burn up
>and tell your nose about it.
>

> If the
>> resistor increases value enough, same thing. No suppressor.
>
>You wont live long enough for that to happen.

REPLY:

I don't know what planet your carbon resistors come from but I have
spent much of my adult life changing low-value high wattage carbon
resistors, and I guarantee you they can change in either direction, up
or down.

Metal-film and metal-oxide types are much more stable, but carbons are
still in use out there and folks are still using them in parasitic
suppressors.

73, Bill W6WRT