Re: [Amps] Problem with 500w AM Linear with mosfet IRFP360

To: "'sasas asasas'" <tzitzikas_ee@yahoo.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Problem with 500w AM Linear with mosfet IRFP360
From: "alexeban" <alexeban@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 19:38:50 +0300
Most probably you have an oscillation problem!
If what is said is true, you have a power gain of 24dB. Way too much for a
single stage!
Given that the amplification factor of the FET's is very much dependent on
the bias, the sudden current jump smells of oscillations. That's intrinsic
in the design, also you probably didn't pay too much attention to grounding,
which is a key issue with high gain amplifiers.
Any wiring running close to the amplifier HAS to be shielded, even bias and
DC lines and VERY well bypassed at the board's edge.
Start from here and let us know!
Alex    4Z5KS