Re: [Amps] Problem with 500w AM Linear with mosfet IRFP360

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Problem with 500w AM Linear with mosfet IRFP360
From: "Bill, W6WRT" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 10:29:26 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 09:18:45 -0700 (PDT), sasas asasas
<tzitzikas_ee@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Without driving power, we must adjust the current at 200mA (when the linear is
>cold).
>My problem is this: When i tried to adjust the current at 200mA without
>driving power, when the current close to
>160mA (by tuning the variable resistance 5Kohm) suddenly the current takes the
>value 3A and some smoke comes out
>from the input transformer.

REPLY:

It sounds like it is breaking into oscillation. I notice there is a
transformer, T3, which is there to provide negative feedback from
output to input. Perhaps the phase has gotten accidentally reversed?
That would make it oscillate.

73, Bill W6WRT