Re: [Amps] Series screen gate design help

To: amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Series screen gate design help
From: Ron Youvan <ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 20:22:30 +0000
Vic Rosenthal wrote:

>> But why?

>> If you're running Class C, with proper grid bias in the absence of drive,
>> the plate&
>> screen currents will be essentially zero.

>> The ol' clamp tube scheme was used with "Linear" amplifiers.

   It was also used in transmitters, such as my Heath DX-100.  I became
familiar with the clamp
circuit (a 6AQ5) when I built a T-R switch on the Pi network and the electron
noise from idling
current was obvious in the receiver.

> If I bias the tube for class C, then the keying envelope will get very sharp.
> It would be
> a click generator.

   Generating key clicks depends on a bunch of things, the use of a clamp tube
minimizes the amount
of negative bias that is needed to cut off the tube when it is not in use in
tetrodes and higher.

--
    Ron  KA4INM - The next election, I know what is going to happen, I'm going
to help.