Re: [Amps] A tale of two IMs What happens?

To: garyschafer@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [Amps] A tale of two IMs What happens?
From: Roger <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 01:14:16 -0400

Gary Schafer wrote:
> IM and cross modulation are the same thing. With the catv amps there are
> many signals operating at nearly the same level that mix with each other to
> produce new products, some of which fall on the frequency of existing
> signals. The only way for IM products or cross modulation products to appear
> is by multiplication.
>
> The levels of the IM or cross modulation products increase in strength, with
> cascaded amplifiers because those product levels add together from one
> amplifier to the next in a linear fashion. Each amplifier produces its own
> IM products that fall on the same frequency as those produced by the
> previous amplifier.
I believe it's rare for any amp to have the output either in phase of 180
degrees out of phase with the input. BUT IIRC it's not all that complicated to
set the phase to what every you desire in the design.

If it's true that each amp generates identical IM products in amplitude
and frequency  then it'd seem to be a relatively simple matter to set
the output phase 180 degrees from the input and end up with a net zero
IM for each even number of amps while each odd number would have only
those IM products from that amplifier, but I don't think it's quite that
straight forward or simple. Then again I was wrong one other time.

73

Roger (K8RI)