Re: [Amps] Tube Storage, vacuum containers

To: Sam Carpenter <sam@owenscommunication.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Tube Storage, vacuum containers
From: Roger <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 17:57:49 -0400

Sam Carpenter wrote:
> 3-500z should be in the range of (pressure: Torr) 1×10−3 to 1×10−9

10^-3 torr is just a hard enough vacuum that the blue glow (ionization)
goes out.
Mechanical pumps are good for about 10^-1 torr which is about the point
where the tube "ignites", or the higher vacuum gages start working.  By
the time you get to 10^-3 *most* of the ions are on the surface of the
tube and tube elements. 10^-6 is considered a good vacuum and can be
reached with the combination of normal mechanical pumps pulling on the
output of diffusion pumps using either 704 or 705 fluid.  It's rare to
see vacuum beyond 10^-7 torr as that is headed into the realm of ion
pumps, gaskets made of pure gold, and cold traps using liquid Nitrogen.
It seems strange to pour the liquid Nitrogen into the trap and watch the
system almost immediately gain another minus 2 torr.  The cold traps
only serve to keep the diffusion pumps from "back gassing". Older pumps
used liquid mercury that was boiled.  Newer pumps use a silicone fluid.
Ion pumps actually absorb the molecules that are charged and accelerated
to the bottom of the pump.  These pumps have no exhaust.

For those that are not familiar with diffusion pumps, they boil a fluid
with the vapor going up a chimney and then out deflectors so they come
down the inside wall of the pump which is water cooled.  The vapor is
moving at supersonic speeds and *scrapes* the pump walls of molecules
and carries/pushes them to the bottom of the pump where they are
concentrated and then carried off by the mechanical pump. Supersonic
sounds really fast until you realize what the speed of sound is at 10^-6
torr.

The vacuum packed tubes are done that way to keep them dry and clean. It
may have some small effect on keeping them from getting gassy, but I
doubt they are even near 10^-1 torr.

I think you will find a tube that gets gassy only picks up the
occasional *molecule* of air and they slowly accumulate over time. But
there are poor seals and then there are really poor seals.

73

Roger (K8RI)