Re: [Amps] 5CX1500A

Subject: Re: [Amps] 5CX1500A
From: Jim Barber <audioguy@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 06 May 2010 13:20:38 -0700
A text-searchable DVD set returns:

"Notes on the Eimac 5CX1500A power pentode"
Arthur Reis, K9XI
Ham Radio, August 1980, pp61,62
Text-only article, mostly anecdotal notes

- article describes some early production problems with tubes made
between 1975 and 1979 (check your date code)

- author recommends loading tube as heavily as possible (!?) and not
exceeding 6000 ohms plate impedance

- typical cautions on *not* bumping filament voltage to try to increase
emission. (note the author claims 0.25V over-voltage will reduce life by
half!)

- author claims Henry used the tube in their 4K model

- overall, author was rather lukewarm about using the tube in amateur
service. Nothing stated about IMD performance.
"The 5CX1500A may not be the best of all possible worlds for linear
amplification in the Amateur service"

HTH,
Jim, N7CXI