Re: [Amps] How to read the 3-500Z spec sheet?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] How to read the 3-500Z spec sheet?
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 16:10:16 -0400
> For the average ham, it's far better to measure PO1dB (1 dB output
> power compression level) and always operate linear modes below that
> point. That guarantees the best compromise between power out and
> linearity on any amplifier with minimal test equipment and
> experience.

The average ham has even less ability to accurately measure the
1 dB compression point on an amplifier than he has of accurately
measuring IMD.  Most don't have one accurate wattmeters much less
two ... nor the ability to understand the issues of exciter foldback
and the changes in SWR between the exciter and amplifier with tuning.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV