[Amps] Yokagawa / hl-2k

To: amps fourm <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Yokagawa / hl-2k
From: MIKE DURKIN <patriot121@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 13:23:34 -0700
So an update ....

I have replaced all the vaporized band switch contacts - not a fun chore i
would add - and im still having problems with the load on 75M. It is verry dull
-  large range of turns/movement with no sharp peek (the Tune is way more
pronounced) . The peek is seen at mid-range and when tuned for max power
(driven with 20W) the drive is increased till an arc occurs (about 50W drive).

Im looking for ideas for reference.

I am thinking that the real problem is in the HV plate choke. - its still
original and does not match the plate choke in picures of other HL-2K amps that
i have managed to acquire. I would of thought that the plate choke would smoke
if it was resonant on that band.

I haven't ascertained the location of the arc over and this symptom is the same
as when it had a pair of 3-500'z installed (now running with GS-35B) - so im
assumeing for now that its not X-tra capacitance from the large heat spreader.