Re: [Amps] Nice homebrew 8877

To: <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Nice homebrew 8877
From: Charlie Young <weeksmgr@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 09:26:51 -0500
K8RI said:

> The parts alone were worth more than that and although it might not mean
> much I saw it as a piece of history as well.

I agree.

Last fall, a similar opportunity was presented to me. Zach Reynolds W4TXL SK
was the grandson of RJ Reynolds, and had several custom built amplifiers in his
station. After Zach's passing in 1979, my friend AC8L (SK) bought one of the
custom newer amps, a pair of 8877's. Jay AC8L lost interest in ham radio and
never put this amp on the air.

The Reynolds amp became available and considering the superb quality of the
construction and the history, I felt it deserved to live.  It is the finest
example of mechanical construction I have seen.

The filament hourmeter works, and it shows 8.5 hours.  From the looks of the
amp, I expect this indicates actual run time.

This is more power than I ever want to run, but I just could not pass this up.
It makes a great conversation piece, and is very impressive looking, to hams
and non hams.  It has a viewing window in the RF compartment, and high
intensity lighting on the inside.  Guess Zach missed seeing the filaments and
plates of his big glass tubes. The meters are all backlit in red.  In the dark,
the thing looks awesome!

I figure it will make a great legal limit RTTY amplifier.

73 Charlie N8RR