Re: [Amps] Size of Parasitic Chokes

To: Mike Saculla <fqm@msn.com>, "amps@contesting" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Size of Parasitic Chokes
From: Dave White <mausoptik@btinternet.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 08:29:35 +0100
My current 3CX3000 amp has no parasitic suppressor at all.  I originally built
one using a coil and a large 50 ohm carbon resistor but found low efficiency.

I spoke to Reid Brandon W6MTF at Eimac and he advised me to simply take it out
and not wory about parasitic suppression.

I have had no problems whatsoever.  However I was totally neurotic about
isolating the plate compartment from the cathode area.  Everything is either
screened or runs via feedthru capacitors and the base and top panels are
rf-sealed with finger stock.

The tubes I got (Dayton fleamarket if I recall correctly) were 3CX3000F7s
though I removed the filament leads with a blowtorch (carefully!) so they'd fit
an RF Parts coaxial socket.  The grid is earther directly to the chassis via a
finger stock grid ring.

Hope this helps
Dave G0OIL