Re: [Amps] Replacing bias string diodes in Harbach rectifier board

To: "[Amps]" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Replacing bias string diodes in Harbach rectifier board
From: "Bill VanAlstyne W5WVO" <w5wvo@cybermesa.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 03:52:24 -0000
Thanks for the ideas, Bill. OK, so let's say I want to clean this amp up
once and for all. No more accidents.

For the bias string, I'm going to go with the 1N5408 diodes I already have,
which have a max forward surge current of 200A. If I put in a glitch
resistor of 20 ohms, that will limit the short current to 150A, which should
be good enough to protect the 1N5408s. With a plate current of 1A (more than
it would really run at), that would be 20 watts, which I would put up to 30W
for margin, since I run data modes on 6m. I'm assuming since this resistor
is below the RF choke, it is OK to use wirewound. (If not, what would be
better? I'm probably going to end up ordering it from Mouser anyway.)

The bypass cap in the SB-220 is 1,000 pF (0.001 µF). If I want this R-C
circuit to prevent spikes that could blow things up, is this enough
capacitance? I don't want to go much more than 20 ohms on the glitch for
regulation reasons, as well as being a waste of power. The 1,000 pF bypass
capacitor is a 5 KV stud-mounted doorknob type. I should be able to replace
it with something bigger if that would help. Advice, please.

Bill W5WVO