Re: [Amps] Replacing bias string diodes in Harbach rectifier board

To: "[Amps]" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Replacing bias string diodes in Harbach rectifier board
From: Mike Tubby <mike@tubby.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 08:51:32 +0100
  On 11/08/2010 04:52, Bill VanAlstyne W5WVO wrote:
> Thanks for the ideas, Bill. OK, so let's say I want to clean this amp up
> once and for all. No more accidents.
>
> For the bias string, I'm going to go with the 1N5408 diodes I already have,
> which have a max forward surge current of 200A. If I put in a glitch
> resistor of 20 ohms, that will limit the short current to 150A, which should
> be good enough to protect the 1N5408s. With a plate current of 1A (more than
> it would really run at), that would be 20 watts, which I would put up to 30W
> for margin, since I run data modes on 6m. I'm assuming since this resistor
> is below the RF choke, it is OK to use wirewound. (If not, what would be
> better? I'm probably going to end up ordering it from Mouser anyway.)

I have several HT packs for 3-500Z, 8877 and 4CX1000A amps.  All my HT
packs have a glitch resistor that is 25R @ approx 70W comprising 4 x
100R 17W wire-wound resistors in parallel.  I use the ones by Welwyn-TT
they are dark green glass-enamel types that are much better at handling
peak/overload currents than the aluminium clad high dissipation types -
the latter are not recommended for high voltage use to their
construction [a smaller resistor in an aluminium heatsink].

In my systems the glitch resistor is in the HT pack just before the
MHV/SHV B+ output connector.  If integrating into an existing amp that
has PSU and RF deck combined I would install the glitch resistors in
series with B+ from the HT caps outside the RF deck, ie. between the cap
bank and the HT feed through in to the RF deck.

I also have a 1A fast-blow high rupture current 1 1/4" fuse in line.
The glitch resistor and fuse combination works well and has reduced
several faults that may have killed tubes to a manageable level.

Mike G8TIC