Re: [Amps] Why no images allowed?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Why no images allowed?
From: Roger <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 15:45:52 -0400

On 8/13/2010 2:42 PM, Pete Smith wrote:
> If I recall correctly, .jpg files are an executable file type, and could
> therefore harbor viruses.  I'm not suggesting malice on the part of
> someone on this reflector, rather an unwitting relay, or even a post
> spoofing the ID of a member but carrying a virus to thousands of
> addressees at once.

This is running far OT, but pertinent.  HTML mail is as bad as those
carrying attachments as far as infections go now days. OTOH even
visiting reputable pages is no guarantee you won't get infected.
Systems have improved, and being able to show schematics, but as there
is sill a lot of very old technology at work out there a link to the
image/photo (with a description as to what those following will find is
easy to do. Photobucket seems to leave lots of stuff my mallware and
virus checkers complain about and remove.

73

Roger (K8RI)