Re: [Amps] Glass tube plate color

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Glass tube plate color
From: "Barrie Smith" <barrie@centric.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 12:16:45 -0600
From: "Fuqua, Bill L" <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>
To: "Barrie Smith" <barrie@centric.net>; <amps@contesting.com>
Sent: Sunday, August 15, 2010 11:10 AM

  These tubes were never intended to be used as amplifier

**Perhaps they were never intended to be used in amplifiers, but they do
work well in class C service.

This rig is just a lark, something fun to build and use on 10 and 15M AM.  I
had a buddy, Scott, W7TLZ, in junior high school, who's father, a ham, built
him a 40M CW rig with a pair of them.  That stuck in my craw for close to 60
years.  I lucked into several of the tubes free a couple of years ago and
have now built the RF deck.

 but in stripline oscillators, either single tube or push-pull.
There were no real efforts to match them. In oscillators you want low mu so
that they will draw lots of plate current to
get started quickly. I seem to recall the plate dissipation was 200 Watts

** The tube is a cross between the 100TL and the 250TL.  The plate is 100
watts dissapation, from the 100TL.  The grid and filament are from the
250TL.

 with a very bright glow.  These tubes were driven hard is early
radar and radar jammers.  Often pulsed. Hams used to use them because they
were very cheap on the surplus market.
  EIMAC even made a version with a glass tube attached to it (about 1/2" ID)
and no vacuum inside to be used as a ion vacuum guage tube.

73
Bill