Re: [Amps] GS-35B Preparation

To: amps@contesting.com, Lee Buller <k0wa@swbell.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] GS-35B Preparation
From: Mel <itz_da_police@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 11:06:29 -0700 (PDT)
......after you get the tube, you need a "burn-in fixture", what I used was a
scraped-out ATX computer PS with a hole cut in it to mount the tube (you don't
need the chimney at this stage.

The GS-35B is a 12.6 volt tube that dissapates 35 watts of heat from the
filament.

The recommended way to prep the tube is to apply filament volts and let it run
for "X" amount of hours/days with plenty of air.

Step 2 is to apply B+ volts to the anode while the filament is lit; not all at
once but in steps of "X" amount of voltage for "X" amount of hours/days until
you reach the maxmum amount of B+ that will be used in the amplifier.  This
step should be performed in the amplifier with chimneys installed and
pressurized air blowing through the tube.

The are knowledgible people who would recomment that you test the tube with a
HV Megohmeter but unless you are planning on running 2-3 times the suggested
level of B+ volts I do not believe this is necessary.

Use a Triode control board or a W4ZT Bias board and not a fixed Zener Diode.

.