Re: [Amps] triode or tetrode

To: Jim Hoge <knowkode@verizon.net>, amp reflector <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] triode or tetrode
From: Dave White <mausoptik@btinternet.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 10:09:31 +0100
For me, building is half the fun ... Probably more than half.  If anything with
building I tend to overengineer and leave more of a component safety margin
than lashing things together as a filthy bodge and exceeding the ratings of
components, so all I'd say is that if you do build, take your time, visit the
right fleamarkets and accumulate the right components.  That overstretched
componenet is just bound to go up in smoke when the P5 comes on the air or at
the first utterance of the words 'CQ Contest'....

If you love spending workshop time then how about finding the best of both
worlds? Buy a second hand amp to use when you need to and so you're in no rush,
and build whatever takes your fancy and provides the intellectual stimulation
that floats your boat in the workshop.

You can always sell the other amp once you're up and running.  You never know,
it might turn out to be an appreciating asset...

Having said that, if you have a modern transceiver with 100-200w output then
how about using a single big hi mu triode?  As many have said: one is easier to
work with than two and tetrodes anre more complex than triodes because of the
screen and grid supplies etc.  However if you fancy getting a ring of half a
dozen 813s or GU81Ms going as grid driven pentodes just for the hell of it then
why not?  I can think of worse ways of passing the time, like sitting in a
long, boring meeting looking at a long, dreary powerpoint presentation....which
is what I'm doing right now!

Dave G0OIL