Re: [Amps] Amp Supply information

To: <n8de@thepoint.net>, "Michael Almeter" <w4mja@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Amp Supply information
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2010 09:50:57 -0400
Actually the LK series are very well built amps and quite in demand these
days. Except with the owner there is almost no comparison with Dentron. Im
still using the LK-500ZC I bought in 86 and the original Eimac tubes are
holding up well. I should probably replace the PS caps.

Quality components were used as well as the mechanical engineering is
excellent. The earliest of the series were works in progress with the late
ZB having most of the fixes and the ZC being the last of the line.

Im not a big fan of the NTC series as most hams dont know how to use them;
they do not work well into high VSWR and the small fixed tuned Tune
variables have a tendency to arc and melt plates. You can usually pull the
bad plates and still have enough C to retune. It is similar to the much
earlier Alpha No Tunes.

The LK-500NTC last sold for $1595 in 1988.None of the LK's were cheap, just
good solid amps for the money.

I get a few of several models in here from customers with most being due to
a tube or filter cap failure. The QSK board can also be touchy with some
exciters and high VSWR as well as those old LV electrolytics getting leaky.

Carl
KM1H