Re: [Amps] Holes vs. screen for chassis ventilation?

To: dan@andlev.com, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Holes vs. screen for chassis ventilation?
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 08:45:30 EDT
Hi Dan, there are a couple of data points on this:

1> the old Bill Orr Radio Handbook has a chart showing rf attenuation vs
hole size in the section dealing with rfi and shielding  considerations.

2> every commercial amplifier I have ever seen uses perforated holes for
ventilation; not screen. Any rf leakage is apparently very small or we would
have heard of problems.

A side note, the input air supply opening also needs screening as rf  can
leak out at that point as well.

I once purchased a homebrew 432MHz amplifier that had no screen or shield
on the cooling air exhaust right above the tube anode. The exhaust hole was
about three inches diameter. There was so much rf leaking out that the
shack  computer shut down. When I asked the seller about the problem he told me
he had  operated like that for years with no problems. Sounds like a good
way to become  an SK way to soon!

Yes, I did put a piece of perforated aluminum over the exhaust  immediately.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 10/5/2010 10:25:13 P.M. Central Daylight Time,