Re: [Amps] Switching Supplies for High Current Filaments

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Switching Supplies for High Current Filaments
From: "David Cutter" <d.cutter@ntlworld.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 18:57:16 +0100
It's all a matter of filtering.  Hitherto, valve heaters receive a low noise
source of electrickery, but with this idea, there could be considerable
noise from the switching waveform.  Computer and other dc supplies with
which I am familiar have 100mV of noise (it doesn't need to be any better)
in quite a wide spectrum (don't ask me to define it - look on a spectrum
analyser).  Multiply this by the system gain in GG directly heated mode and
see if that equates to a big signal on the output of your amplifier.  If it
does, add more filtering to the switcher.  The heater choke will help in
this.  I am talking about dc not using the switching waveform itself.
W6CW's slow start looks good.

David
G3UNA