Re: [Amps] cathode driven 4CX250B and super cathode driven

To: Hsu <hsu4qro@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] cathode driven 4CX250B and super cathode driven
From: Bill Fuqua <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 09:50:07 -0400
       In the 1960s I knew a guy , John Brown, who tried a number of tube
types in grounded grid.
The most spectacular was 4ea  4-65A's with a series control grid resistor
to limit its current.  These would almost get white hot
at max output. He tried 4CX250Bs with a series resistor ( they were fried
with out the resistors) and did sort of work but
he gave up on it. I don't know if the signal reports were bad or if there
was some other problem.  But have not seen any others
try it since until you posted this article.
      This 1200 watts out with a pair of 4cx250B's sounds a bit high. Most
likely 4 tubes.
If you think about it the peak plate current should be the same with a
4cx250B in class AB1, control grid at zero and
screen at 250volts say, and in G-G, g1 connected to K ,configuration where
the cathode to grid voltage is zero and peak
cathode voltage -250 volts.  Power out per tube should be 300 or so watts
plus drive power.
     To get 1200 watts with two tubes you would need much more plate
voltage and drive voltage.

73
Bill wa4lav