Re: [Amps] construct ferrite "line isolator"

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] construct ferrite "line isolator"
From: Ian White GM3SEK <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 18:10:13 +0100
Jim Brown wrote:
>On 10/26/2010 11:25 PM, Ian White GM3SEK wrote:
>> PLEASE can we give this problem a new name!
>>
>> 'Pin 1' may mean something to pro audio people, but in amateur radio
>> it's a bad name - meaningless, misleading and a barrier to
>> communication.
>
>One of the traditions in this world is that when you discover or invent
>something something you get to name it.

Only comets and children :-)

>Neil Muncy discovered the Pin 1
>Problem and published it, and that's what he chose to call it.

"Pin 1 problem" was an excellent choice because it means something
within the world of pro audio. But as you yourself have so often said,
it is only a subset of a much wider problem that affects the whole of
electronic engineering.

In that wider world, "Pin 1 problem" just doesn't work as a descriptive
term. Nobody can begin to guess what it means, unless they already
*know* the answer.

>It would
>do RF folks a lot of good to realize that some pro audio folks really do
>know more about some things than they do, and in the world of RFI,
>there's been more progress made by pro audio folks than by RF folks. :)

It is no disrespect to either Mr Muncy or the pro audio engineers to
look
for a more general - and above all, more meaningful - way to describe
the wider problem of incorrect ground returns.

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek