Re: [Amps] construct ferrite "line isolator"

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] construct ferrite "line isolator"
From: "Bill, W6WRT" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 03:24:23 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 10:26:33 -0700, Jim Brown
<jim@audiosystemsgroup.com> wrote:

>Yes. BUT -- when distributors talk about "good" it's sometimes hard to
>know what "good" means to THEM.  Are they talking about use as inductors
>or as suppressors?

REPLY:

Do you actually use ferrites in resonant circuits at HF or VHF where low
loss is required such as pi-net output tanks? I always thought for
efficiency ferrites were pretty much restricted to the audio frequency
range and a bit higher such as in switching power supplies. I have been
under the assumption that at HF and up, ferrites are lossy and drift
with temperature.

My information is a few years old and perhaps there are new mixes for
the HF region. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

73, Bill W6WRT