Re: [Amps] Do you think he'll get it?

To: <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Do you think he'll get it?
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 17:43:23 -0400
Roger,

I've long thought that ETO's product evolution was a bit interesting.  In
the beginning, ETO produced the 70A, 70V, 77, 77D, 77Dx/Sx, all of which
have remarkable circuit and cabinet similarities.  Perhaps these early amps
sold in low volume which, may have then sparked the more economical designs
of the 76, 374, and 78.  Clearly, these amps were built with the
value-oriented amateur in mind with cost savings in areas like:

- Less expensive E core transformers with lower KVA ratings;
- Less expensive metal work, although the chassis work is still in a class
far above that of Ameritron, Heath and Dentron;
- Lack of QSK;
- Honeywell/Schadow switches in place of Switchcraft crossbar types;
- Seemingly lesser-rated ceramic band switching;
- Multiple, lower plate dissipation tubes.

Today, I would likely steer away from the 76/374/78, especially at high
prices.  The Alpha 86 can generally be obtained in the low $2K range.  I
purchased one in new condition for that amount a couple years ago and it's
significantly more robust than the 76, 374, and 78.

It's shame Dick Ehrhorn is no longer active on this list.  It would be
interesting to hear his perspective on ETO's marketing thoughts going back
to the early '70s.

Paul, W9AC