Re: [Amps] Clipperton L suggestion

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Clipperton L suggestion
From: "Danny Pease" <dpease@adams.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 08:10:00 -0500
Larry, did you confirm continuity across the T/R  relay contacts? When I had
a Clipperton, that was an ongoing issue.

NG9R

Message: 2
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 23:34:20 -0400
From: "Larry" <lknain@nc.rr.com>
Subject: [Amps] Suggestions - I broke my amp
To: "Amps" <amps@contesting.com>

I am looking for suggestions regarding my Clipperton-L. The basic problem is
that there is
no output. No apparent plate current.

I did several things:

1. I replaced the power supply board which seems to be working as the meter
shows about
2500V (I don't have an HV probe to confirm independently that there is
2500V).
2. I had to fix the parasitic suppressors so I put in an AL572 RFC and
suppressor board and
increased the bypass cap to 0.001.
3. I changed the plate blocking cap to 2000pf (from 500pf) and changed a
couple of doorknobs
for 160. The no output has been checked only on 20 and 15 so far.
4. I changed the filament RFC to an RF Parts RFCFIL30.

Some other facts:

1. The filaments are lit.
2. The meter shows what I recall as roughly the correct plate voltage.
3. Using an ohmmeter there is continuity from the PS HV pad to the plate
connectors.
4. There is no plate current that I can see. Although, I once saw the plate
current go to about
350mA and still no output.
5. Several years ago I added a tuned input board and there is continuity
from the LVDC pad to
input board and the bandswitch (unchanged in current mod but changed with
the input board)
still works correctly.
6. There is continuity from the plate to plate blocking capacitor and
continuity from the "other"
side of the plate blocking capacitor to the plate tuning capacitor.
7. I rechecked the connections and still think everything is correct.
8. No arcs, blown fuses, etc.

I have obviously overlooked something. Suggestions?

73, Larry  W6NWS