[Amps] 3CX1000A7 and larger

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] 3CX1000A7 and larger
From: "John Lyles" <jtml@losalamos.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 18:15:05 -0700
Do you mean no commercial amateur amplifiers? Today I tested my new tetrode
amplifier to 735 kW peak with 1 mS long pulses, 60 per second. Average power
was about 45 kW, at 198 MHz. That's VHF.
Its only 2 tubes, a driver and final. Everything is turned back right now,
still doing high voltage testing before shoveling on the duty factor to raise
the average (CW equivalent) power.
Have had plenty of birthing pains the past month, screen supplies that went
south, filament supply that wouldn't cooperate, parasites that wouldn't shut
up.... I haven't had much time to pay attention
to whats on this forum.  But everything is working better, and this is what it
takes to bring up a new rig of this size.

John
K5PRO