Re: [Amps] source of '3rd harmonic'

To: dansawyer@earthlink.net, Amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] source of '3rd harmonic'
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 05:27:33 EST
Hi Dan, the binocular transformer causes the two transistors in the
amplifier to operate in a push-pull fashion. A characteristic of push-pull
design
is that the fundamental and all odd harmonics combine in phase while even
harmonics cancel.

The true source of the harmonics is within the transistors and they
produce both even and odd harmonics; the combining method reduces  the
amplitude
of the even numbered ones through  phase cancellation.

Good design would call for filters after the amplifier to reduce harmonics
to an acceptable level. The filter can be a simple tuned circuit as used in
tube  type amplifiers to match the high plate load impedance to the lower
load  impedance or a low pass filter with a cutoff appropriate for the
frequency  of operation. Multi-band operation will require multiple filters.

I hope your answer is somewhere in the above.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 11/18/2010 11:32:07 P.M. Central Standard Time,