Re: [Amps] source of '3rd harmonic'

To: dansawyer@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: [Amps] source of '3rd harmonic'
From: Shane Youhouse <kd6vxi@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 18:53:42 -0800
I'd try putting a single steering diode from the CT junction of the input
transformer to the bias network.  Just ensures safety.

Are you SURE that you have good bias?  Your bias is a LOW impedance source?
 I use a 5A regulator for every 8 transistors, and I don't have any biasing
issues....

What is the brand / model?  If this is a CB type amplifier, letting me know
this info will allow me to 'fill you in' on the mix in the transformers.
 Some will go to 40 meters.  Some to 80.  Some I've tested will only measure
good to 21 mhz or above.  Some are coming with transistors AND ferrite
OPTIMIZED for 6 meters!  If your amplifier has SD1446s in it, this could be
an issue, they are VHF xisters.

IOW, a bit more info is needed, but I'd say it's probably in your ferrite
mix...  If not, then I'd check to ENSURE you have a low impedance bias
supply, that can supply .8 volts under ALL drive levels.

I run a Messenger M2000 (16X2879s) and a Texas Star Sweet Sixteen (8X2879s)
mobile.....  Been here, done this :)

--Shane
KD6VXI