[Amps] brass or BNP hardware

To: "amps@contesting" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] brass or BNP hardware
From: Mike Saculla <fqm@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 22:35:05 -0800
From: jim.thom@telus.net
To: amps@contesting.com
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 05:23:14 -0800

Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 13:36:22 -0700
From: "John Lyles" <jtml@losalamos.com>

In RF power amplifiers, HF to VHF range, I have used brass or nonmagnetic
stainless steel hardware for years, after having been "Burned" by steel screws
- pun intended. Several times in my career
I have seen bolts turned black and tarnished from RF heating this way. If RF
current can flow in the steel, then it can make eddy currrent losses and heat
up. However, if it is not carrying current, not a problem.
The reason I try to stick with brass or SS is that later on, someone is working
on the product, cannot remember why this special screw is only in this hole and
that. So by making it all one type, when inside the RF compartment, you
make service, repair and spare parts inventory simpler. These simple policies
are carried on in my mind when starting new amplifiers.
73
John
K5PRO

##  In Bings infamous RF software, one of the features is the skin depth
calculator.  It also has a table that list every kind of metal you can think
of.    The worst of the bunch was SS.  Per his
list, rusted bailing wire would be better than SS.  He didn't say whether it
was magnetic, or non magnetic SS.... or if  304 SS or  the cheaper
variety..which I think is  18 type.

SS  appears to work fine, if used to clamp cu straps together, etc, where the
main RF current patch is not though the actual SS threads. IE: cu strap wrapped
around a tubing tank coil, brought back on itself, then
machine screwed, which pinchs the cu strap tightly, onto the tank coil.
Where I  got into trbl was  when  double nutting SS  machine screws  and
placing strap between the two nuts.  Then the RF path is  now through the SS
threads
and stuff heats up..fast. [ I did this on a ceramic vac cap]

The SS that's  locally available in common sizes like  4-40, 6-32, 8-32, 10-32
1/4-20   etc...  will just barely stick to a magnet...and I mean barely...and
that's  with a big magnet.  If a small magnet is used, they won't stick at all.
N6BT  once had a pix on his old F-12 website, where he tried using solid 8 ga
SSS wire  for a 40m helical hair pin.    The exact dead  center of the coil
had turned  jet black..over  a +/- 1 " portion.
F-12 typ uses  SS  10-24  hardware at feed point of their ants/yagis'.    They
also double nut them... with the balun lugs between the 2 x nuts.

##  I noticed on one of these sites that supplies ant materials  for high power
AM  SW  broadcast and commercial users.... recommended   sizes  of  hardware
for the  feed points  of various SW ants...
including curtain array's... rhombics, V beams, LP yagi's  etc.    It went from
1/4-20   and  1/4-28    up to real big stuff like  3/4"..and 1".   It was a
table of power VS  bolt size.   Interesting enough... ALL the bolts
used  consisted of  phosphor bronze.   None of it was SS / brass / or nickel
plated brass.....or anything else.  I'm sure  Mosley  used  phosphor bronze
screws  for the  feed-points  of their yagis.

##  so what's the  story on Phosphor bronze?   Is it really the preferred
material to use for RF  ??     I have yet to try to see if I can silver plate
any of this stuff.    Back in the 70's/ 80's  and early 90's.. telco's
used copper bolts into tapped copper buss bars on a regular basis. [1/4"-20   +
5/16"]   But I  don't think they were solid copper.  I think they were copper
plated material, but don't know what the base material
was.   I didn't want to scrape any cu off... exposing the base metal, if they
were plated... as the CU bolts  were scarce to start with, and we needed all of
em.

##  Brass is plentiful at the local stores.    I was surprised that they even
stocked   huge  5/8"  hex headed   brass bolts, in various lengths.   I have
never seen nickel plated brass... and never heard of it
till now.    Phosphor bronze on the other hand, is readily available   from a
variety of sources, in just abt any size.    I have never had any problems
with silver plating CU.     Dunno if it's even possible  to silver plate  say
phosphor bronze, SS, or brass/nickel  plated brass.     I don't like the way
SS  interacts  with Aluminum  tubing or Aluminum  plate.   The AL always ends
up grossly discoloured.

later....... Jim   VE7RF

+++ Silver plated stainless steel screws and bolts do exist. We use them in
high-vacuum systems, the silver plating acting as a thread lubricant.
Most vacuum systems are stainless chambers, tubing and flanges, with stainless
hardware used as fasteners. The screws tend to be a little expensive,
probably because of the limited market for them. In a pinch I have our
plating shop silver plate ordinary 304 stainless screws. It works.

Mike K6MDS