Re: [Amps] Tube Cooling..

To: "Ian White GM3SEK" <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Tube Cooling..
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 20:49:14 -0500
From: "Ian White GM3SEK" <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
To: <amps@contesting.com>
Sent: Saturday, November 27, 2010 6:53 PM

> Carl wrote:
>>> So the entire anode cavity fills up with hot air...
>>>
>>> Collins contributed many excellent ideas to the amplifier gene pool, but
>>> that certainly wasn't one of them.
>>

>>Now that is a reply Id expect from those that reply without using much
>>mental effort but not from you Ian. Due to the cavity design and the
>>width of the anode cooler it didnt leave much choice.
>>
>>The amp certainly does not show signs of overheating either.
>>

> OK - if it works well enough, then it works.
>
> The point I was trying to make was that there are better ways. Most
> designers recognise that heating of the cavity is a major source of
> tuning drift, especially at UHF, so they choose cavity configurations
> that allow cooling of the tube without heating up the cavity.
>
> If the cavity design didn't allow that in this particular case, it
> suggests that the cavity had been designed first, without much thought
> to cooling, leaving with  the designer of the cooling system with no
> other choices.
>
> 73 from Ian GM3SEK

More guessing Ian.

My guess is that since this was in a military command plane, and going by
the size of the enclosure which left no room, they were constrained by the
size of the airborne communications rack it slid into. I think they did very
well considering older amps Ive seen with less power.

Carl
KM1H