Re: [Amps] Derating Dry Loads

To: "'Randall, Randy'" <Randy.Randall@uchealth.com>, "'Mike & Becca Krzystyniak'" <k9mk@flash.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Derating Dry Loads
From: "Sam Carpenter" <sam@owenscommunication.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 14:10:58 -0500
Be careful, sometimes the heat dissipation may not be the only factor. I can
tell you that an internal arc at legal limit can do a lot of destruction. If
the load takes it and runs away from 50 ohms with rapid heat, it could go
boom. I once thought that I was switching from the south pacific leg of 75
array to the northern Europe antenna but instead went to a 20 meter beam.
(result of 807s) It blew the smoking coax completely out of the pl259 and
smoked one of the three 3-500z tubes running. Just a thought that the
conductors inside may be close enough to arc or burn with a shift in voltage
point and it may be the amp that takes the hit too.

Sam N9FUT