Re: [Amps] Replacement tube for 4-1000a

To: Dennis Goebel <radios1236@yahoo.com>, "Amps@contesting.com" <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Replacement tube for 4-1000a
From: Bill Fuqua <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 15:33:46 -0500
I have a number of 4-1000A tubes. If you are willing to pay the price you
can get new ones made by Amperex ( Covimag) which are more rugged than the
EIMAC ones.
I usually get them at hamfest and since I have my own portable tester I can
check them right there.
The Amperex tubes have graphite plates and it is better supported than the
EIMAC ones. I have often gotten EIMAC ones that were dropped in shipping
and the anode bent off to one side. I have been able to straighten up
almost all of them but it is a bit risky.  I think Triton has quit making
them. They could never get the big glass triodes and tetrodes right.

73
Bill wa4lav