Re: [Amps] PI-L Thoughts!

To: "Roger (K8RI)" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] PI-L Thoughts!
From: "Ulf (SM0NOR)" <ulf@sm0nor.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 08:45:09 +0100
Thank you all for your insights in this matter. It seem like my original
thought to tweak the Q is not very good. The two dominating suggestions are:

1, add a smaller C1 to the existing and switch in/switch out
2, add a small L, that forms an LC network together with the tubes capacitance,
before the tank to lower the load resistance on higher bands

I will try solution 2 first because it is easy and fits into the RF deck.
However, I'm starting to realise that maybe a redesign of the RF deck layout is
inevitable for lots of reason, so in the longer perspective, solution 1 wil be
one that I go for.

Thanks!

73's
SM0NOR
Ulf

Sent from my iPad

On 12 dec 2010, at 05:01, "Roger (K8RI)" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com> wrote:

> On 12/11/2010 10:35 PM, Jim W7RY wrote:
>> Please look at the way I handled a low minimum value cap in my 3CX800 amp. I
>> used a small cap for 10, 15 and 20 meters. Then switched in a larger cap for
>> 40, 80 and 160.
> Although they only used a 2 section cap, Hallicrafters did this in the
> HT33B amp. On 75 they operated a "knife switch" with a cam on the band
> switch shaft.
>> Pictures @
>>
>> http://s900.photobucket.com/albums/ac206/w7ry/3CX800%20Amplifier/
>>
> Nice job of construction.