Re: [Amps] Fw: Fan for SB220

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Fw: Fan for SB220
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 13:33:01 -0500
Just one minor quibble - the first two inches of the top rear portion of
my SB-220's RF cage is not open, presumably to make sure that the air
from the fan at least starts out in the right direction.  The only
thermal problems I have had with my amp was the melting of the solder in
the filament pins of the  tubes.  The explanation I have heard for this
has nothing to do with cooling air or the lack, but rather to resistive
heating due to a slightly resistive connection between the pins and the
socket clips.  After re-soldering the pins, I polished their outer
surface and then swapped the clips for those on two of the three grid
pins.  No problems since.

73, Pete N4ZR

The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
reversebeacon.blogspot.com,