Re: [Amps] Fw: Fan for SB220

To: <n4zr@contesting.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Fw: Fan for SB220
From: "Mitch Cox" <ww4cox@embarqmail.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 13:54:45 -0500
  From: Pete Smith
  To: amps@contesting.com
  Sent: Saturday, December 18, 2010 1:33 PM

  Just one minor quibble - the first two inches of the top rear portion of
  my SB-220's RF cage is not open, presumably to make sure that the air
  from the fan at least starts out in the right direction.  The only
  thermal problems I have had with my amp was the melting of the solder in
  the filament pins of the  tubes.  The explanation I have heard for this
  has nothing to do with cooling air or the lack, but rather to resistive
  heating due to a slightly resistive connection between the pins and the
  socket clips.  After re-soldering the pins, I polished their outer
  surface and then swapped the clips for those on two of the three grid
  pins.  No problems since.

  73, Pete N4ZR

  The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
reversebeacon.blogspot.com,

  On 12/18/2010 1:20 PM, Mitch Cox wrote:
  > The cooling on a standard SB-220 is a hit or miss proposition at best. You
have a large fan blowing at 2 tubes without anything directing or channeling
airflow with a completely open top letting the purposed airflow from the fan
escape right through the roof of the amplifier before it even reaches the tubes.