Re: [Amps] Black Heat Shields

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Black Heat Shields
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 01:49:40 -0500

On 12/20/2010 12:35 AM, gdaught6@stanford.edu wrote:
> Mike wrote...
>
>> Conservation of energy in the universe - materials absorb and radiate
>> energy at the same rate.
> No they don't.  An object in thermal equilibrium with its surroundings will
> absorb
> and radiate energy at the same rate.
>
> If it absorbs more than it radiates, it will heat up.  If it radiates more
> than it absorbs, it
> will cool down.
An object can not radiate more energy than it receives.  I can radiate
more than it is receiving at a given time IF it has already received an
excess. IOW if you have been pumping a given amount of *radiant* energy
into an object and it reaches thermal equilibrium it will  be radiating
as much as it receives. Now if you reduce the radiant energy input the
object will contain more energy than it is receiving and will radiate
that excess until it again reaches thermal equilibrium.   However it
will never radiate more energy than it *has received*.

If you are pumping energy into an object via any normal means it still
can not radiate more than the total energy input. The only time it can
radiate more than the energy being input is when the input is reduced
and then only until equilibrium is reached. That's neglecting the point
if you are able to input enough to create fusion, I think that is still
running a deficit.

That's about the best I can explain it.

73

Roger (K8RI)