Re: [Amps] Power Supply Turn Off Under Load

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Power Supply Turn Off Under Load
From: "Roger (Sub1)" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 17:36:11 -0500
On 1/17/2011 11:17 AM, TexasRF@aol.com wrote:
> There have been a couple of recent mentions of the bad effects of turning
> off a hv power supply that is under full load.
>
> A google search didn't turn up useful information so I am wondering if a
> reader here might have some insight as to the problems associated with an
> under  full load shutdown?
>
> This is the scenario where a 240vac primary breaker or fuse lets go during
> a transmission at full carrier level such as AM, RTTY or one of the current
>   Digital modes.

With an inductive load such as a transformer, IF the circuit is broken
at the peak of the AC cycle (worst case) the Reverse EMF created by the
collapsing current will induce a tremendous back, or reverse voltage.
An inductor opposes any change in current and the collapsing field will
generate that reverse EMF. As the field is changing abruptly the
resultant voltage will be higher than normal.    This spike not only
goes back on to anything connected to the primary of the transformer, it
is "transformed" through the transformer as a series of reducing
amplitude spikes on the input (ringing). So the initial spike on the
output of a HV transformer can be considerably higher than the normal
voltage and exceed the ratings of rectifiers, capacitors, etc...

73

Roger (K8RI)