Re: [Amps] Why no 28 MHz

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Why no 28 MHz
From: "Roger (Sub1)" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 22:06:47 -0500
On 1/25/2011 9:50 PM, Fuqua, Bill L wrote:
> How many amplifiers today have 160 meters?
Nearly all (of current manufacture) that I know of.  Also these amps
that were designed during the so called 10 meter prohibition were easily
put back on 10, or most of them were.  Some that had a tuned input
needed the parts for the input, but many took nothing more than moving
the band switch stop. Every thing was already wired up and ready to go.
I sold and serviced a lot of equipment back in the 60's and 70's and got
to see a lot of this.  Many took less than 5 minutes to take it apart,
make the change, put the cover back on, and it was ready to test. You
might even squeeze the test in the 5 minutes.

However there is on thing about companies selling these outdated amps
and if they do not have 10 meters which is now permitted I see them as
outdated, to sell them with 10 meters in the US it is likely they would
have to get FCC approval as it means a change to the circuit as sold.

73

Roger (K8RI)