Re: [Amps] Why no 28 MHz

To: Mike <noddy1211@sbcglobal.net>, "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>, Bill LFuqua <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Why no 28 MHz
From: Glen Zook <gzook@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 20:40:05 -0800 (PST)
Both the HR-2510 and HR-2600 Uniden can be "opened" by cutting a trace on the
circuit board and inserting a resistor.  This changes the coverage from 28.000
MHz to 29.6999 MHz to 26.0 MHz to 29.6999 MHz.  Uniden tried, at least for
those units sold in the United States, to discourage this by putting a layer of
epoxy over that area of the circuit board.  But, 10 seconds with an Xacto knife
or razor blade took care of the expoxy.

As for 10 meters on linear amplifiers:  The FCC did remove the ban on 10-meter
operation for certification.  However, there is a "gotcha" in the fact that a
certified amplifier cannot be capable of amplifying frequencies between 26.0
MHz and 28.0 MHz.  Of course, it is a practical impossibility to shut out that
segment and still allow full 10-meter coverage.

Glen, K9STH

Website:  http://k9sth.com