Re: [Amps] What to buy?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] What to buy?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 16:22:15 -0800
On 1/26/2011 10:58 AM, Dennis Watkins wrote:
> I'll be comming into some $ and want to purchase the best I can get within
> reason.

It's a discredit to the narrow focus of this list that no one has asked
you how you want to use this amp, what else is in your station, what
sort of operating you do, and so on.  What bands? CW? SSB?  RTTY?  AM?
Contesting? DX chasing?  Rag chewing?  Do you have external antenna
tuners, do your antennas need matching?  Do you want best bang for the
buck, or money's no object?  Do you have (are are you willing to add)
240V in your shack? Is portability important?  Auto tuning? How much
power? As a result, all you're getting are personal experience about
amps that individuals have owned, thinking ONLY from the perspective of
the amp itself.  A FAR more important question is, what FEATURES do I
need, what degree of ruggedness do I need, etc. Do you want to be able
to work on it yourself?  The best responses I've seen so far have
addressed things like warm-up and availability of tubes .

I'm not a wealthy guy, but I do SO2R contesting have lots of antennas
that need tuning , and match them with external tuners. My choice was to
buy three used Ten Tec 425s (one is a spare), supplemented by a Ten Tec
Herc II for when I want a smaller amp amp to drag on expeditions. That
works for ME, but it certainly isn't for everyone. I could buy ONE legal
limit auto-tune Alpha or ACOM for what I paid for all three of the 425s,
and I'd still need another amp for the second radio. :)

73, Jim K9YC