Re: [Amps] I answered it.

To: Steve Cook <vaj4378@yahoo.com>, amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] I answered it.
From: Ron Youvan <ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 13:36:09 +0000
Hi  Steve Cook:

> The question I watching for an answer to was:
> I the Q changes (because the tank L is set to a non optimal inductance
> value) what happens to the voltages across the plate tune and antenna
> The original question, as I read it, did not address open antenna
> connections or the like.
> So for me, if I want to operate on 10MHz with my Kenwood TL-922 amp
> which does not have a setting for 10MHz -- do I need to operate at
> reduced voltage to keep the tank voltages from soaring?
> Did I get the question wrong?
> I still don't know what the answer is.
> What happens to the tank voltages when the Q goes up or down due to the
> setting of the tank inductance???

   A well asked question.  I didn't recall the original question.
First we are allowed only 200 Watts, so 3dB over a 100 Watt transceiver will
not be noticeable.  If
the "tank" is not resonant the efficiency will be extremely low, if the
transformer ratio is
incorrect (the two capacitors form a auto-transformer) because of the incorrect
inductance the
easily arc at the
capacitor, it is unlikely that the "loading capacitor" would arc as the load
will remain across it.
BTW:  Wikipedia says "CW only" and the ARRL says "RTTY and data" ??? and it is
only good for
contacts within USA, so I see no use for using it without some special interest.
--
    Ron  KA4INM - If you have any criticism for me constructive or otherwise
                  keep it to yourself, at my age I just don't care anymore.